There has never been a more exciting time to be a part of the NAIOP SoCal YPG Program! As I look back on the last year, I am extremely proud of the YPG Alumni Committee’s efforts and what we have accomplished as a team. Notable accomplishments include:
- The planning and execution of the inaugural Leadership Summit in April 2017. With over 300 attendees and a fantastic program, the Summit was a huge success. The Summit featured renowned surfer and waterman Laird Hamilton who talked about how to take your career to the next level. We are extremely excited to host the 2nd annual Leadership Summit on Wednesday March 14th at the Hyatt Regency in Huntington Beach that will feature former Navy Seal Commander and New York Times best-selling author, Jocko Willink. Jocko will share with us the leadership principles he learned on the battlefield to help others lead and win. This year’s theme is “Cultivating the Leader Within.” We hope that you will be able to join us!
- The evolution of the Alumni Speaker Series Program. In its second year, the Speaker Series was created to boost alumni committee meeting participation and provide leadership insight for alumni. We have been fortunate to learn from phenomenal leaders from diverse backgrounds this year including: Richard Afable (CEO, St. Joseph Hoag Health), Jonathan Ord (CEO, Dealersocket), NFL Agent Ryan Williams (Athletes First), Larry Sullivan (President, Passco Companies), Robert Thornburgh (EVP, Kidder Mathews), Brandy Birtcher (Co-Founder, Birtcher Development), and Robert Brunswick (Co-Founder & CEO of Buchanan Street Partners).
- Giving back to the community. Our annual “Big for a Day” at Knott’s Berry Farm was a success, bringing 30 volunteers to mentor children through Big Brothers Big Sisters of OC. We continue to support Working Wardrobes through the collection of gently used clothing at Y Games to help veterans and men and women in crisis return to work. We are also excited to be donating a portion of the proceeds from the Leadership Summit to Homes for Our Troops – a nonprofit that builds and donates specially adapted custom homes to severely injured veterans.
- Teamed up with CREW and ULI (Commercial Real Estate Women and Urban Land Institute) for a 125+ person joint networking mixer at the Villas Fashion Island in Newport Beach. Thanks to the Irvine Company for hosting the location at this Summer Soiree!
- Continued the Y Games tradition with 200+ attendees, selling out tickets weeks before the event. The 2017 Y Games theme took us back to the days of “I want my M-TV” with teams dressing up as their favorite music video.
- Set a new record by fundraising from 20+ sponsor companies, increasing total sponsorship over last year’s record-setting year!
- Worked with the NAIOP SoCal Board to produce the kick-off event of the year, in an expanded version of the traditional YPG kick-off event. Over 250 people went country in the Real Estate Roundup Kick-Off Party at the Barn at Strawberry Farms. In keeping with tradition, YPG Alumni jumped on stage to sing with the live band!
- Partnered with the City of Long Beach for the YPG Case Competition where YPG Teams will present competing plans for the development of a prime land site in downtown Long Beach. This is extremely exciting and notable as it is the first time a city has been the sponsor and partnered with YPG on the case competition.
- Recruited and selected the 14th YPG Class, putting together one of the most diverse and accomplished classes in our history.
We are so thankful to our sponsors who have continued to see the value of the YPG Program and have allowed us to accomplish so much this year. I’d like to especially recognize our Platinum and Gold Sponsors: Newmark Knight Frank, LBA, CapRock Partners, Hines, KPRS, Prologis, Panattoni, Shopoff Realty Investments, Stillwater Investment Group and Sunwest Bank. Lastly, I’d like to thank Cynthia Fusco and her team at CGF Associates for their tireless efforts and support of the YPG Program. I am so thankful for my time being involved with the YPG program and look forward to seeing the YPG Leadership continue to raise the bar in the future!
YPG Alumni Chair